San Francisco Typographic Map

by Mark Harrower on December 9, 2010

HOORAY! The San Francisco typographic map is finally finished and is ready for purchase today. I made a big push to get this map ready for the holidays (with some help from Andy and Ben) and we’re really happy with the way this turned out. More images.

I went a bit overboard and decided to map the *entire* city; The amount of fine detail in this map is pretty astonishing. To fit the entire city onto a poster, of course, means the type itself has to be much smaller to fit it all in. In fact, the street text is half the size of the Chicago map (6 pt surface streets versus 12 pt) so there’s lots of detail for your eyes to enjoy.

GO BIG: Given the crazy density of streets I strongly recommend you get one in poster size (23×34 or up) so you can best see all of the parks, water features, and twisty streets the city is famous for.

WHAT’S THIS ABOUT LETTERPRESS?! Great news, we’ll be offering limited edition, gorgeous letterpress prints on rich cotton paper in the first half of 2011. While we love Zazzle (their prints rock), many of you asked (and begged!) for us to do these as hand-made, limited edition art prints and we thought that was a great idea. Want to be the first to know when they go on sale? Go here.

WHAT’S NEXT? We have New York City (Andy) and Washington DC (Ben) coming up shortly. They look sweet.

There are 32 comments in this article:

1. December 9, 2010San Francisco Typographic Map says:

[…] Maps has just released a beautiful new San Francisco Typographic Map as a poster available through […]

2. December 9, 2010Gorgeous Typographic Map of San Francisco Includes Beautiful Typographic Bernal Heights | Bernalwood says:

[…] designers at Axis Maps just released a very nifty Typographic Map of San Francisco, and since Bernalwood is part of San Francisco, we’re included too. (“They like us! […]

3. December 9, 2010Dave R says:

Amazing. Soooo goood.

4. December 9, 2010Howard says:

My god, it’s full of streets.

Is “poster-size” large and up?

5. December 10, 2010Mark Harrower says:

Thanks guys. Howard, yes anything ‘big’ (23.5″ x 35.5″) and up will look best. Cheers!

6. December 10, 2010San Francisco Typographic Map | One Digital Life says:

[…] had typographic maps for Boston and Chicago, and they just recently released one for San Francisco. It looks very […]

7. December 13, 2010Cary j\Jones says:

It appears Dunsmuir St is missing!

8. December 14, 2010patricia says:

i’m guessing this is done with polymer plates, not handset type, but still- it is rad.

9. December 14, 2010Social news, events media links and the latest from San Francisco | SFWIRE says:

[…] • Another cool idea for gifting – the San Francisco Typographic Map […]

10. December 15, 2010amy says:

they have a 50% off sale on posters today only! i just bought one… super cool print!

11. December 15, 2010Typographic Map Posters of Chicago and Boston | Magical Urbanism says:

[…] Typographic Map PostersI think I need a new series for this site just of awesome maps. Here’s another great set from Axis Maps. These are maps of Chicago and Boston entirely made of type. Check out Axis Maps for more detail. Better yet, buy them here!Update: They added San Francisco!google_ad_client="ca-pub-3012988026870532";google_ad_slot="9254229053";google_ad_width=468;google_ad_height=15; Wednesday, November 24th, 2010. Filed under: Art Design Geography […]

12. January 17, 2011Typographic Maps says:

[…] For sheer cartographic brilliance: axismaps’ San Francisco Typographic Map […]

13. January 18, 2011djs says:

PRETTY PLEASE will you make a Paris typographic map? I’ll be your best friend! I’ll make you cookies! I’ll build a snowman in your likeness!

14. January 18, 2011Flipflipmeheidi says:

Waw, fantastic job!!!

15. January 19, 2011San Francisco Typography Map | Hello!Lucky says:

[…] awesome San Francisco typography map was created by Axis Maps using only type – how cool is that! Available for purchase here, and there is even a limited […]

16. January 20, 2011melissa says:

CHICAGO NEXT!

17. January 21, 2011Noejda says:

I salut thee – Great work!

18. January 21, 2011Mark Harrower says:

Melissa, have a look :-) http://www.axismaps.com/typographic.php

19. January 26, 2011Walt N says:

This map is beautiful. It’s unfortunate that even in the 22×15″ size I purchased it is very difficult to read the regular street type. I don’t use reading glasses, but even in good light I can barely do it. You might warn people that the 16×11″ size will be illegible at the street level. Preserving the user experience and all that.

20. January 26, 2011Mark Harrower says:

Hi Walt – thanks for the praise and I 100% agree that the type is really small. Annoyingly, Zazzle do not let us sell *only* 23″x34″ posters, which would be ideal, hence my “Go Big” warning above. Nonetheless, we’ll flag this issue more explicitly on the Zazzle page itself so folks know, for the San Fancisco map, bigger is better (Chicago and Boston are ok at the smaller sizes, they have a less ambitious map scale). Thanks.

21. January 30, 2011Ceren says:

Oh man, it’s beautiful, and I was using the zazzle site to double the size of even the “go big” option…. and then I noticed Treasure Island’s not on there, and I had a sad. :( I live on Treasure Island, and that’d be the first thing visitors notice and ask me about were I to hang this (still beautiful) art on the biggest wall in my house.

22. January 30, 2011teff says:

I second Chicago. Oh pretty please do Chicago next.

23. January 31, 2011Mark Harrower says:

@teff – we’ve already done Chicago!! http://www.axismaps.com/typographic.php

24. February 2, 2011Jamie says:

When will DC be released? I’ve already got a spot picked out for it!

25. February 2, 2011typographic maps « greetings fellow earthlings… says:

[…] execution on these is insanely well done.  CHECK IT LikeBe the first to like this […]

26. February 2, 2011Mark Harrower says:

@Jamie – We’re getting close…soon (I promise!)

27. February 3, 2011John says:

It’s great that you’re doing more of these. I (and several of my friends) will be first in line to buy, if you ever do one of Seattle!

28. February 4, 2011Andrew says:

Aw, you Americans always get all the cool stuff. How about showing us Northern folk some love and doing a map for Vancouver?

29. February 5, 2011kristina says:

what paper option do you recommend from zazzle?

30. February 7, 2011Mark Harrower says:

@kristina – for the San Francisco map, I’d go with 23×34, for Boston or Chicago they look really good at 15×22 and up

31. February 9, 2011Howard says:

My 23×34 came in the mail today and it looks gorgeous! Time to get it framed and hang it up! <3

32. January 21, 2012Edderkopp! Eller? | What's Sound? says:

[…] kunstneriske prosjekter. Typografiske kart har jeg sett før, blant annet noen veldig pene noen fra Axis Maps. Denne uken så jeg noen ekstremt kule typografiske metrokart fra Fadeout Design som jeg ble obs […]